Tuesday, March 04, 2008

So, I guess it's Consequences then?

By now, you're all well aware that Margaret B. Jones' memoir Love and Consequences is, consequently, fake. "None of it is true," according to the NY Times. Ms. Jones is actually Ms. Seltzer. Peggy Seltzer. She attended the same private school as the Olsen twins. I assume that somebody at Riverhead will have to fall for this, as they also brought us the James Frey fiasco. The internet reaction has been swift and witty. My favorite piece of criticism on the subject comes from Slate's coverage of The Wire, where Jeffrey Goldberg writes, "I assume you have seen the coverage of Love and Consequences, the "memoir" of a half-white, half-Native American girl not named Margaret Jones who grew up in South-Central, except that she didn't? A writer like that belongs in the Baltimore Sun newsroom."

Oh, and I should probably mention that she won't be appearing at Vroman's this Thursday. Vroman's don't truck with no liars.

1 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, it's a darn shame she couldn't have just put all that talent into a fiction. Oh wait, I guess she did!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home