Monday, December 29, 2008

Odds and Ends

Regular blogging will commence next week, including a full recap of my year in books, but for now, I found a few cool things to point out to everyone:
  • David Stretfield in the New York Times on how bargain-hunting readers (particularly the online variety) are killing publishing and bookselling. I would extend this argument further and say that the entire discount culture we've settled is the root of the problem. Whatever happened to a fair price for a fair day's work? (Did that sound terribly crotchety and old-fashioned? That's how I am before my afternoon coffee. I apologize.)
  • I'm a week late, but The Elegant Variation ran a terrific week of coverage on 2666, of which I'll have something to say next week (130 pages left!).
  • At Kottke.org, the year in cities, 2008 (That's every city Mr. Kottke spent at least one night in in 2008). Mine would look something like this: Los Angeles, CA, Oakland, CA, Oberlin, OH, Waltham, MA, Phoenix, AZ, Kauai, HI...Hmm, I need to get out more. Next year, Rome, London, Baltimore, etc.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:25 AM, Blogger Sarah Rettger said...

Patrick, I may just appoint you my spokesman to save time. I've been trying to figure out why the "books are too expensive" complaints popping up lately bother me so much - and you said it so much more concisely than I've managed to.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Baltimore? Excellent!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home