Thursday, July 24, 2008

Gay Penguins Still Don't Fly with Americans

From the Morning News (God bless the Morning News, by the way. What an incredibly great website. Everything about it makes me happy -- the design, the content, the fact that it changes on a regular schedule. It's what the internet ought to be) comes this story in the Economist about the most challenged books in American libraries and schools. And Tango Makes Three, the infamous gay penguin book, was once again number one on the list, followed by other books that have sex in them.

The best part about this list are the impassioned and idiotic comments that follow it. Someday I'm going to find out what it's like to be offended by something I've read, and then maybe I'll leave comments like that on a website. But not yet.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Blogger Sarah Rettger said...

Apparently gay guinea pigs aren't faring much better.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

Sarah,

Wow! Thank you so much for posting that. That was some response from the librarian.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Emily Lloyd said...

Hi. I write a library web comic, "Shelf Check," and have written a few strips on And Tango Makes Three in the past: http://shelfcheck.blogspot.com/search/label/andtangomakesthree

I'm hoping to spread the word about a button that reads "I read And Tango Makes Three to my kids" that folks can wear for Banned Books week (or, hey, year-round). The button is here:
http://is.gd/2t7H

It's $1.95, the lowest base price Zazzle offers--I'm not looking to make a profit. It's also fully customizable, so your can substitute "niece" or "patrons" for "kids," etc. Please consider taking a peek, and thanks for this post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home